Tuesday

Looking at the whole...hole.

Day 6: Get the job done. Do it well. While I'm at it, gain a little insight.

To the disappointment of my husband, I'm not a golfin' kind of gal. I enjoy the concept and skill of the game, but there are quite a few other places I'd rather be than out "in the elements" on acres upon acres of highly-manicured green grass. I don't like collared shirts. I don't wear visors. I "just say no" to Caddyshack. (It's okay that I stereotype, right?)

Don't get me wrong - if you gave me a long sunny afternoon alone with JH, a small motorized cart, and a cute little cooler full of Corona, I'd take it in a heartbeat (second, of course, to a hot yoga class with a room full of strangers...wait, make that third, to an afternoon with no noise and a nap).

I regret to inform you that I am not of the athletic kind. I am a slight poser when it comes to my college football fanhood. I don't find much satisfaction in athletic apparel and sports drinks. Isn't that all that golf is? I mean, JH vanishes for five-six hours wearing preppy gear and returns home to talk about walking an entire golf course carrying a tremendously heavy bag on his back. That sounds fishy to me...who would enjoy that?

My skepticism has been silenced with three words: The Ocean Course.

I'll admit, I've been a little close-minded, perhaps even a bit judgemental when it comes to the sport of golf. Sometimes it's just easier to pass something off as "lame" because you have no insight into what it really is. (This is a fault I'm forever trying to squash.)
Enough with my -isms. Let me give credit where credit is due...to both the game of golf and my golfing husband.

Last weekend it was my job to produce a high-profile golf outing for local business leaders and, even though I've coordinated such outings before at other courses, I've kind of ignored the actual "meat" and just put the sandwich together. The Ocean Course is special and not at all what I'd expected This prestigious green (and I mean sustainably engineered) gem is located at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean.

This is a beautiful place. It's tranquil. It's natural. It's oceanfront. It's brimming with wildlife and vegetation and miles away from anything that may interrupt a blissful afternoon on the course. I was pleasantly shocked to see that the particpants on the course that day were enthusiastic, not about the balls or the brand names at the Pro Shop or the lazy cart ride around the course. They were inspired by being outdoors, by the intense concentration involved at each hole, by the camaraderie with each other. I was a little inspired myself...

Now, I understand that what I was recently exposed to out at Kiawah is the top, it's king, the creme de la creme of grass and cart paths. I think seeing it this way helped me to realize what's important here. If it fulfills you, if it exposes you to some sunshine, and if you can be amazing at it...well, it's a pretty good thing.

My husband tells me that golf is his yoga. I used to laugh at such a silly notion. Now when he packs up his clubs and heads for the door, I wish him well with a loving "Namaste".

P.S. - I'll note for you all you golf-lovers that The Ocean Course will play host to the 2012 PGA Championships. And, there are four other great courses to enjoy, along with world-renowned spa, restaurants, and resort living. See you on the Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment